Whether you want to move into a smaller house or get rid of some of the clutter in your home, downsizing your belongings can be easier said than done. Here are 5 tips for downsizing with no financial regrets.
- Go through each item. If you have a lot of items to get through, it might be easy to just toss out big piles of stuff without thinking. If you don’t downsize carefully, you might unknowingly throw away money or important documents that have been tucked away.
- Don’t pay for storage. This is not only expensive, but you also are just delaying the sorting and downsizing you will have to do eventually.
- Have your family look through your stuff. Show your kids everything that you want to get rid of in a room and let them pick what they want.
- Test it out. Pack up the items you think you don’t need in the garage for a month or so. If you realize you’ve made a mistake, you still have access to those items.
- Don’t panic. Unless you have to move within a certain time frame, there’s no need to rush through the downsizing process.
As you put your belongings in order, take a look at your loan accounts. At Lone Star Credit Union, you can swap out your high-interest rate loans for fair-rate credit union loans. Contact us today to see what options are available!